- Responsible for partnering with business leaders to maximize revenue growth from the company’s existing product and marketing data assets
- Directly supported 40% YOY revenue growth from Marketing Services (lead generation, account-based marketing, audience extension, programmatic & display advertising)
- Increased ALM’s addressable email marketing universe by an average of 15% — as much as 30% in some market segments over 18 months
- Developed new audience segments, making ALM competitive in segments including Private Client/Family Office, Independent Investment Advisory, Personal Injury Law,
- Architect of the company’s enterprise data strategy, combining customer attribute and engagement data with data that resides in ALM’s intelligence products, creating sophisticated user profiles for use by of the company’s lines of business
- Leader of ALM’s Global Technology Solutions Product Management team.
Responsible for setting and implementing content strategy for a family of market-leading Insurance and Financial Services web portals and their associated conferences and magazines.
- Executive leader of a national newsroom with bureaus and journalists throughout the United States covering Insurance, Financial Services and Commercial Real Estate
- Set the daily, weekly and monthly content strategy for each web site in conjunction with a team of senior newsroom leaders
- Introduced an Agile Journalism framework to the newsroom supported by audience data and analytics
- Successfully led innovations in reporting and interactive journalism
Executive with primary responsibility for developing new live event, digital media, and data products opportunities resulting from the merger of Summit Professional Networks and ALM. Brands supported include: Law.com, PropertyCasualty360.com, ThinkAdvisor.com, BenefitsPro.com, LifeHealthPro.com, and LegalTechNews.com. Orchestrate functions in a matrixed organization to launch new products.
- Responsible for product planning and development; requirements development, marketing strategy.
- Accountable for building a pipeline of new revenue streams
- Collaborated with sales, marketing, and content experts drafted to launch new products
- Re-launched the cyberSecure conference: developed go-to-market strategy, conference program, and audience recruitment strategy generating a 10X increase in YOY revenue
- Directed the company’s engagement programs among senior IT decision makers
- Launched an strategic initiative to expand editorial coverage of disruptive innovation in Insurance and Financial Services
Responsible for customer acquisition, retention and monetization, across all lines of business.
- Member of the executive team recruited to facilitate a profitable exit by Private Equity
- Provided leadership for essential marketing functions:
o Audience acquisition teams responsible for advertising-supported media, paid products, live events and digital events
o Partner marketing teams responsible for 3rd-party lead generation
o Marketing operations, including marketing automation, data and analytics
- Accountable for delivering revenue growth through audience monetization via live and digital events, lead generation and paid products
- Operating responsibility for the internal agency function responsible for 125+ partner marketing programs annually
- Developed audience recruitment strategies for custom marketing services programs
- Consistently delivered revenue growth and over budget P&L performance
- Architected and led deployment and integration of the company’s marketing database and analytics platforms (Tableau, Marketo, Internal Data Warehouse)
Senior executive responsible for all audience marketing activities supporting live events, digital events, research, media, and digital products including email marketing, tele-recruitment, organic, SEO, SEM, Social.
- Member of the company’s Executive Management Committee
- Responsible for the revenue performance of 35 live conference events, 350 digital events, and 600 lead generation programs annually, representing two-thirds of the company’s revenue
- Increased audience reach and engagement across all lines of business
- Launched the company’s highly targeted lead gen programs: competitive kill programs, installed base targeting, influencer network marketing, account-based marketing, channel partner recruitment, and named account recruitment
- Instrumental in landing new and significant incremental business from Microsoft, Intel, IBM, SAP, CA, Dell, Citrix, and VMware
- Led a team of high-performance marketing managers who:
- Re-engineered the live event recruitment process, lowering costs and increasing show rates through email, tele-recruitment, organic, and social media
- Increased customer satisfaction in all measured channels
- Increased email marketing performance by 35%
- Increased call center conversion efficiency by 50%, reducing cost and increasing profitability
Marketing leader of a software start-up. Responsibilities included business development, marketing and product management for a suite of digital photo-related products.
- More than doubled sales of add-in software through direct to consumer channels
- Developed programs to boost digital photo software ROI for white-label clients, including Wal-Mart, Costco, Hewlett Packard/Snapfish and Walgreens
- Participated in investor fund-raising presentations
- Supported a timely, and successful exit from the business by investors
Vice President/Customer Solutions, CMP Custom Integrated Marketing Solutions Group
- Member of the corporate marketing team that reengineered CMP’s traditional media business into a multi-channel, custom marketing services organization.
- Created integrated marketing and promotion programs for CMP’s largest clients including Microsoft and Intel. Programs included live and digital events; print and digital media
- Managed large projects from concept through sales and execution, including award winning programs for Microsoft
- Developed and implemented go-to-market strategies for digital custom content and database marketing services
Vice President/Group Director, Miller Freeman/CMP Media
- Led a $25 million worldwide business unit of print, live event, and digital products serving software developers. Responsible for directing content development, audience recruitment, ad sales, marketing, and strategic planning. Delivered consistent annual revenue growth.
- Provided on-going development and leadership for a team of 65 sales, marketing and content professionals
- Integrated previously autonomous print, digital and live events groups, into a unified team
- Early leader and innovator in the company’s on-line strategy. Developed the company’s first profitable digital media business
- Launched CMP’s first internet-based video broadcasting product
- Led senior-level sales meetings representing CMP’s software-focused market positions in live events and print with strategic partners, including IBM, CA, Microsoft and Intel
Publisher, Dr. Dobb’s Journal
- Successfully led DDJ to be the fast-growing computer trade magazine in ad pages in 1998 as measured by CPAR
- Developed a successful digital product strategy including webcasts, e-commerce, and publishing
- Developed profitable advertising and reader-driven product line extensions
Publisher, Microsoft Systems Journal (Now MSDN Magazine)
- Key member of the team that built MSJ into one of the most successful technical journals in history
- Successfully managed a multi-year strategic partnership with Microsoft to produce their flagship technical journal for software developers. A key component of their strategy to build an eco-system of applications for Windows
- Worked closely with Microsoft to use MSJ as a vehicle driving growth of the Microsoft Developer Network